Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Of course at this time of year, one can’t help but to be in a state of self-reflection and an overflow of gratitude. Last week, Samantha encouraged you all with her message DON’T QUIT! She was right on with that message. When you’re really going through and you feel like life is getting the best of you, you often hear statements such as “Your breakthrough is on the other side of this challenge,” “There’s always a test before the TESTimony,” “This too shall pass,” “To get to xyz you must go through abc” and the likes. Sometimes your reaction may be “Whatever…easier said than done. She doesn’t know me and what I’m going through.” I get it! I’m guilty of turning what was intended to be encouraging and uplifting into a flood of negativity. Negative thoughts. Negative feelings. And in the end I was stuck in a place where nothing positive could get to me, because I had a negative comeback/excuse for everything.
I say all of this to say, the BIGGEST battle between your future successes vs. quitting is your mental state. This is the same for fear vs. faith. In order to stay in the game and relentlessly go after your goals and dreams you must GET YOUR MIND RIGHT! In order to defeat fear and get through tough times you must GET YOUR MIND RIGHT! In order to start that business, finish school, get that job promotion, lose weight, be happy, be open to life’s unexpected possibilities you must GET YOUR MIND RIGHT! With Christ, life experiences, maturity, therapy and other techniques below I have learned how to train my mind to get in agreement with what I want in life. After all, As a man thinketh so is he and the seeds you plant will be the fruit you bear.
- Positive Self-Talk: Positive self-talk is the things you say to yourself to make yourself feel good. It can be that pep talk you give yourself before speaking in front of a large crowd or going to meet with a potential investor. It’s the “I can do this!” and “I got this!” messages that we tell ourselves. Positive self-talk is all about getting rid of your inner conversations of negativity and replacing them with empowering thoughts. Need help with initiating positive self-talk? The video below consist of a self-talk script that you can recite to yourself or listen to daily to set the tone of your day.
- Meditation :Meditation is the process of getting to know your own mind so you can get the best out of it. Meditation has many benefits including: reducing stress and anxiety, improving cognitive functioning in the brain, and lessening depression. To learn how to meditate watch the video below:
- Cognitive Restructuring ; Cognitive restructuring is a psychological technique used to identify and dispute irrational or maladaptive thoughts. Cognitive restructuring helps us change the meaning we ascribe to a particular event or situation. If you experience thought patterns/cognitive distortions like all or nothing thinking, personalization, overgeneralization, minimization, labeling, jumping to conclusions, emotional reasoning, always being right, disqualifying the positive, blaming etc. then this is a skill you want to master. Watch the video below by StressX LLC to jump start identifying and disputing negative thoughts.
- Review the Facts – Review the facts is helpful with challenging your negative thought patterns by deciphering what’s fact and what we’ve made up. Reviewing the facts is a part of cognitive reframing and can really help with putting things into perspective. Reviewing the facts is very helpful for those dealing with depression and/or anxiety.
- Journaling – Journaling is very therapeutic as it increases self-awareness, which leads to self-growth. Journaling is helpful for getting our mind right because it allows us to take the time to reflect and clarify what we think and feel. Journaling can often feel like talking to one of your best friends on paper. Give it a try. Set aside as little as 10-15 minutes every morning and/or every night to write about whatever comes to mind.
I hope these techniques that are very helpful to me are helpful to you. Remember everything starts with your mind; thus you must GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!
Stay tuned for part 2 of the GET YOUR MIND RIGHT series.